Connemara National Park Irlanda Travels

Connemara National Park

The present abbey and home of the Benedictine nuns, was initially built as a castle. This was intended to be the "love nest" of Margaret y Mitchell Henry, a leading ophthalmologist at that time. The couple took refuge here from pollution in London during the industrial era. But only for a few years because Margaret died in 1984, a few years after the completion of the work, during a trip to Egypt.

Hello! Depois de visitar a vibrante cidade de Galway fizemo-nos à estrada em direção ao parque nacional de Conemara.

Hello! After visiting the vibrant city of Galway we hit the road towards Conemara National Park.

Este parque, localizado a 82 km de Galway, abrange uma área de quase 3 hectares e oferece-nos paisagens magníficas.

This park, located just 82 km from Galway, covers an area of almost 3 hectares and offers us magnificent landscapes.

Se desejar caminhar pelas diversas trilhas disponíveis neste parque recomendo que visite o centro do visitante e busque informação sobre esta e outras actividades (aqui).

If you wish to walk along the various trails available in this park I recommend you to visit the visitor’s centre and seek information about this and other activities (here).

A abadia de Kylemore situa-se logo após a entrada no parque nacional, ocupando grande parte deste, mesmo em frente ao lago com o mesmo nome.

A actual abadia e morada das freiras beneditinas, foi inicialmente construída como um castelo. Este foi idealizado para ser o “ninho de amor” de Margaret e Mitchell Henry, um importante oftalmologista naquela época. O casal refugiou-se aqui da poluição existente em Londres durante a era industrial. Mas, apenas por poucos anos pois Margaret acabou por falecer em 1984, poucos anos após a conclusão da obra, durante uma viagem ao Egipto.

Kylemore Abbey is located right after entering the national park and occupies a large part of it, right in front of the lake with the same name.

The present abbey and home of the Benedictine nuns, was initially built as a castle. This was intended to be the “love nest” of Margaret y Mitchell Henry, a leading ophthalmologist at that time. The couple took refuge here from pollution in London during the industrial era. But only for a few years because Margaret died in 1984, a few years after the completion of the work, during a trip to Egypt.

A familia Kylemore deixou a propriedade em 1902 após a sua venda ao 9º Duque de Manchester, que realizou uma importante remodelação dos seus interiores e que aqui viveu juntamente com a sua esposa até 1914.

As monjas beneditinas instalaram-se em Kylemore depois da destruição da sua abadia na Bélgica, em 1920, após a primeira guerra mundial e abriram aqui um colégio interno para meninas de elite.

The Kylemore family left the property in 1902 after it was sold to the 9th Duke of Manchester, who undertook a major interior renovation and lived here together with his wife until 1914.

The Benedictine nuns settled in Kylemore after the destruction of their abbey in Belgium in 1920, after the First World War, and opened a prestigious boarding school for local girls here.

O colégio abriu oficialmente em 1923, com 30 alunas, algumas delas estrangeiras, que receberam uma educação de acordo com os princípios da ordem religiosa. A escola era conhecia e prestigiada em todo o mundo! Funcionou até 2010.

The college officially opened in 1923 with 30 students, some of them foreigners, who received an education in accordance with the principles of the religious order. The school was known and prestigious all over the world! Closed in 2010.

Projetado pelo arquiteto irlandês James Franklin Fuller e pelo engenheiro Ussher Roberts Kylemore, o castelo tinha 33 quartos, 4 quartos de banho, 4 salas de estar, um salão de baile, uma biblioteca, e muito mais!

Designed by Irish architect James Franklin Fuller and engineer Ussher Roberts Kylemore, the castle have 33 rooms, 4 bathrooms, 4 living rooms, a ballroom, a library, and much more!

A igreja neo-gótica, a apenas alguns minutos do castelo, é um testemunho do amor de Henry por Margaret. Funcionou inicialmente como uma igreja anglicana, mas em 1920 as freiras recém-chegadas a converteram numa igreja católica.

The neo-Gothic church, just a few minutes from the castle, is a testimony to Henry’s love for Margaret. It initially functioned as an Anglican church, but in 1920 the newly arrived nuns converted it into a Catholic church.

Segundo uma lenda, Cú Chulainn e Fionn McCool, dois dos heróis mitológicos mais conhecidos da Irlanda, lutaram muitas vezes um contra o outro nas montanhas Connemara, e numa das suas lutas deixaram cair uma pedra no terreno de Kylemore, em forma de triângulo (pedra dos desejos), que se localiza perto da igreja. Em frente a esta encontram-se 5 dedos gigantes em madeira que saem do solo. Um pouco assustador! A tradição diz que nos temos de colocar de costas para a pedra dos desejos, pegar num pequeno seixo e tentar acertar no vértice. Isto tudo para que se concretize o nosso desejo! Se forem lá, tentem a vossa sorte! 😉

According to a legend, Cú Chulainn and Fionn McCool, two of Ireland’s best-known mythological heroes, often fought each other in the Connemara Mountains, and in one of their fights they dropped a triangle-shaped stone on the Kylemore terrain, located near the church. In front of it are 5 giant wooden fingers that come out of the ground. A little scary! Tradition says that we have to put our backs to the wishing stone, take a small pebble and try to hit the apex. All this to make our wish come true! If you go there, try your luck!

Para chegar aos magníficos jardins victorianos apanhamos um autocarro dentro do recinto. Também se pode ir a pé, mas o trajeto ainda é um pouco longo!

To get to the magnificent Victorian gardens we take a bus inside the enclosure. You can also walk, but the journey is still a bit long!

Os majestosos jardins de cerca de 6 hectares, construídas aquando o castelo, estavam praticamente abandonados e destruídos quando as monjas chegaram a Kylemore. Elas iniciaram importantes obras de restauro no ano de 1995. Em 2000 os jardins abriram ao público.

The majestic 6-hectare gardens built at the time of the castle were virtually abandoned and destroyed when the nuns arrived in Kylemore. They began important restoration work in 1995. In 2000 the gardens opened to the public.

Ao longo dos jardins existem vários edificios e estufas. Existe ainda a Kylemore Abbey Head Gardener’s House, uma casa bem bonitinha tipo casinha de bonecas, onde se hospedaram alguns dos convidados das freiras, de entre estes um conhecido escritor alemão, A.E. Johann.

Along the gardens there are several buildings and greenhouses. There is also the Kylemore Abbey Head Gardener’s House, a pretty little dollhouse, where some of the nuns’ guests, including a well-known German writer, A.E. Johann, stayed.

O bilhete para a abadia custa 14 euros e inclui a visita ao castelo, à igreja neo-gótica e aos jardins vitorianos. O recinto está aberto ao público diariamente. Para informações sobre bilhetes, descontos e horários de abertura consulte o site oficial.

The ticket to the abbey costs 14 euros and includes a visit to the castle, the neo-Gothic church and the Victorian gardens. The venue is open to the public on a daily basis. For information on tickets, discounts and opening hours please consult the official website.

Booking.com

Reserve o seu hotel aqui.

Book your hotel here.

Um comentário

Deixar uma resposta

%d bloggers like this: